Mahatiktam Kashayam is an Ayurvedic medicine used to treat wide range of skin diseases, abscess, non healing wounds and sinuses. It is also available in Kashayam tablet form.
Table of Contents
Mahatiktam kashayam benefits:
- It is used in the treatment of Skin diseases of Pitta origin.
- It is used in herpes, pigmentation, non healing wounds, sinus tracks, abscess, boils.
- It is specially efficacious in syphilis.
- It is used in burning sensation in skin, pruritis (itching) and inflammatory conditons.
- It is effective in psychiatric conditions, heart diseases, eye diseases,
- It is used to heal fistula wounds, menorrhagia,
- It is effective in toxic conditions.
- It helps to relieve bleeding diseases.
- When skin erruptions won’t heal and there is still pus and inflammation around the wound, this herbal preparation is used. It is also effective in many other maladies, mostly related to excess pitta or bleeding in the body.
- It balances tridoshas at the level of skin
Doctors also use this for the treatment of
Dandruff, scalp psoriasis
Hyperacidity, gastritis – Because it is rich in bitter and coolant herbs such as Sariva, sandalwood, neem, licorice, it is very useful to relieve Pitta at the level of stomach, hence a very good choice for gastritis.
Leucoderma – white patches (vitiligo)
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Vata, Pitta and Kapha at the level of skin. It has its main effect on Pitta.
Synonyms: Mahatiktam kwatham.
People with diabetes should take this under strict medical supervision.
A patient observed increased urine frequency with a dose of 30 ml per day. But this may not be generalized to everyone.
This product may lower blood glucose levels.
One patient with Ulcerative colitis reported worsening of his symptoms after taking this medicine.
Mahatiktakam kashayam dosage:
- Readymade Kashayam – 5 – 10 ml, before food, or on empty stomach, once or twice a day or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- If the kashayam is concentrated, then it needs to be mixed with equal quantity of water and should be taken.
- This medicine is available in Kashayam tablet form. The dose of kashayam tablet is 2 tablets 2 times a day before food.
- Dose of Kashayam for children – 5 ml, mixed with 10 ml of water, once or twice a day, before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Dose of Kashayam tablet for children – half to 1 tablet, once or twice a day, before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
With western medicines
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this product along with other western (allopathic/modern) medicines. Some Ayurvedic herbs can interact with modern medicine.
If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then it is best to take allopathic medicine first, wait for 30 minutes and then, after a gap of 15 – 30 minutes, take Ayurvedic medicine or as directed by the physician.
Can this be used while taking Homeopathic medicine?
Yes. This product does not react with homeopathic medicine.
With supplements like multivitamin tablets, Omega 3 fatty acids etc?
Yes. Generally, this product goes well with most of the dietary supplements. However, if you are taking more than one product per day, please consult your doctor for an opinion.
Meals should be of broken rice with boiled vegetables and buttermilk. Chillies, tamarind and salt can be avoided.
Rock salt, ghee, bitter gourd, elephant yam, plantains, green gram, ginger and other pathya items alone are allowed. Ordinary pathya rules and in certain conditions mixed pathya rules may have to be observed. Bathe only every 3rd or 4th day, that too not in cold water. For those with indigestion this may be taken in 300 ml of water boiled with 10 gm of black cumin.
Honey, Gandhakaraja rasayanam, Siddha makaradhwajam, Maha Manjishtadi Kada etc.
Mahatiktam kashayam kashayam ingredients:
This herbal decoction is prepared based on the formula of Mahatiktaka ghrita.
Herbal decoction is prepared from 10 grams of each of
Saptaparna – Alstonia scholaris
Parpataka – Fumaria indica
Shampaka – Cassia fistula
Katuka – Picrorhiza kurroa
Vacha – Acorus calamus
Triphala – Haritaki – Terminalia chebula, Vibhitaki – Terminalia bellirica, Amla – Emblica officinalis
Padmaka – Prunus poddum
Patha – Cyclea peltata / Cissampelos pariera
Haridra – Turmeric — Curcuma longa
Daruharidra – Berberis aristata
Sariva – Hemidsemus indicus
Kana – Long pepper – Piper longum
Nimba – Neem – Azadirachta indica
Chandana – Sandalwood – Santalum album
Yashti – Licorice – Glycyrrhiza glabra
Vishala – Citrullus colocynthis
Indrayava – Holarrhena antidysenterica
Amruta – Tinospora cordifolia
Kiratatikta – Swertia chiraita
Sevya – Ficus religiosa
Vrusha – Adhatoda vasica
Murva – Marsdenia tenacissima
Shatavari – Asparagus racemosus
Patola – Trichosanthes dioica
Ativisha – Aconitum heterophyllum
Musta – Cyperus rotundus
Trayanti – Gentiana kurroa
Dhanvayasa – Alhagi pseudalhagi
AVN Ayurveda Formulations Pvt Ltd Also manufactures this in the form of tablet – Mahatiktakam Kashayam tablet.
Nagarjuna – Mahaathikthakam Kashaayam, Mahaathikthakam Kashaayam Tablet
Reference and Shelf Life
Reference: Ashtanga Hrudayam Kushta Chikitsa 19/8 – 10
Shelf life of Mahatiktakam Kashayam:3 years from the date of manufacture.
Presentation: Bottle of 200 ml.