Arjunarishta – Uses, Dose, Ingredients and Side Effects

Arjunarishta is an Ayurvedic liquid medicine, popularly used as herbal heart tonic. Arjunarishta contains 6 – 12 % of self generated alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble active herbal components to the body. It is also known as  Parthadyarishtam, Partharishtam etc.

Reference

Bhaishajya Ratnavali Hrudroga Adhikara 33/75-77 API, AFI

Uses

Arjunarishta is useful in the treatment of chest injury, weakness, feeling tired all the time, chronic respiratory diseases, cough, throat related diseases.
It is extensively used as herbal cardiac tonic
It improves strength and helps to cleanse intestines.

Doctors also prescribe this for the treatment of
High total cholesterol
High LDL

Watch video

Dose

12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water.

With western medicines
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are taking this product along with other western (allopathic/modern) medicines. Some Ayurvedic herbs can interact with modern medicine.
If both Ayurvedic and allopathic medicines are advised together, then it is best to take allopathic medicine first, wait for 30 minutes and then, after a gap of 15 – 30 minutes, take Ayurvedic medicine or as directed by the physician.

Can this be used while taking Homeopathic medicine?
Yes. This product does not react with homeopathic medicine.

With supplements like multivitamin tablets, Omega 3 fatty acids etc?
Yes. Generally, this product goes well with most of the dietary supplements. However, if you are taking more than one product per day, please consult your doctor for an opinion.

Side effects

There is no known side effects of Arjunarishta, as long as it is taken under professional advice and supervision

Can this be taken by a diabetic person?
Because it contains sugar content, it is best to avoid in diabetic patients.
But if the blood sugar levels totally under control, then a lower dose of this can be taken for 4 – 6 weeks of time.

Ingredients

Arjuna tvak – Terminalia arjuna – Stem bark – 4.8 kg
Mrudvika – dry grapes – fruit – 2.4 kg
Madhuka – Madhuca indica – flower – 960 g
Dhataki – Woodfodia fruticosa – Flower – 960 g
Guda – jaggery – 4.8 kg

The first three ingredients are taken in coarse powder form, added with 49.152 litres of water, boiled and reduced to 12.288 litres, filtered. It is furter added with powders of rest of the ingredients, kept for fermentation. After confirmation of fermentation, the contents are filtered and stored in air tight containers.

Manufacturers

Zandu, Dabur, Baidyanath, Nagarjuna – Paartthaadyarishtam

Shloka- Sanskrit verse

पार्थत्वचस्तुलामेकां मृद्वीकार्द्धतुलां तथा।
भागं मधूकपुष्पस्य पलविंशति सम्मतम्।।
चतुर्द्रोणे अंभसः पक्त्वा द्रोणमेवावशेषयेत्।
धातक्या विंशतिपलगुडस्य तला क्षिपेत्॥
मासमात्रं स्थितो भाण्डे भवेत् पार्थाद्यारिष्टकः।
हृत्फुफुस गदान् सर्वान् हन्त्ययं बलमोजकृत्॥

pārthatvacastulāmekāṃ mṛdvīkārddhatulāṃ tathā|
bhāgaṃ madhūkapuṣpasya palaviṃśati sammatam||
caturdroṇe aṃbhasaḥ paktvā droṇamevāvaśeṣayet|
dhātakyā viṃśatipalaguḍasya talā kṣipet||
māsamātraṃ sthito bhāṇḍe bhavet pārthādyāriṣṭakaḥ|
hṛtphuphusa gadān sarvān hantyayaṃ balamojakṛt||

Safe for kids?
It is safe to use this medicine in lower dose, in children above 5 years of age.

Pregnancy and lactation –
During pregnancy it is best to take only under medical supervision. Self medication during pregnancy should be avoided.
It can be taken during lactation period, under doctor’s advice, for a short period of time.
Expiry date: 10 years from the date of manufacture.
Storage: Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber coloured bottle, protect from light and moisture.

Can Arjunarishta open the heart blockages?
It is useful only in the initial stages of heart blockage. It is usually advised with other medicines for comprehensive heart care.

Useful in lung disorders

In the Sanskrit verse, phuphusa gada is mentioned. Phuphusa means lungs. Does it mean Arjunarishta is useful in lung disorders?
The lung disorder, here is to be understood from the context of its utility in cardiac disorder. It should be understood as shortness of breath or breathing problems.
In cases of poor cardio-vascular fitness, weak functioning of heart, etc. leads to breathing problems, in which, Arjunarishta is useful.

Even in chronic respiratory diseases causing weakness and debility, Arjunarishta can be useful to improve strength and immunity of the patient.
But it is not commonly used in classical lung disorders such as bronchitis or COPD (asthma).

156 thoughts on “Arjunarishta – Uses, Dose, Ingredients and Side Effects”

1. This medicine is good. My personal experience is that I had irregular heart beat. With three months of regular usage my heart beat came to normalcy. I did walking exercise also along with this.

2. I am using arjunarista from last two month. I have skip beat of heart. I found the medicine is excellent. My cardiac function become almost normal.

3. Hi, Arjunarishta is also used in treating blood pressure. But for BP and cardiac issues, rather than choosing a medicine on your own, consulting an Ayurveda doctor is a good idea. Dose needs to be adjusted from time to time, based on improvement.

4. my Dad has Low pulse problem for last 18 year and he has been using this for last 17 years after showing to doctor, he healthy and doctors are sometimes surprise to see result. He was having pulse rate at 20 but for last 15-16 years it been maintain at 63-73.

5. Sir,, is this product being useful for cholesterol patients?? Actual my father has back pain and spinel problem due to spondiolisis. So this tonic will be useful for this type of disease???

6. Is this medicine useful for reducing total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL. Is the dose mentioned on bottle say 10-20 ml twice daily is OK.

7. I underwent bypass surgery in 2012. My cardiac ejection factor is 25 to 30 % and BP remains in the range of 110/70. Taking allopathic medicines. Will arujnarisht be helpful?

8. My age is 33 years. I Have Ventricular Tachycardia and taking Cordarone 200Mg since last 5 years. I want to shift to Ayurvedic Medicine because Allopathic medicines have lot of side effects. Please suggest If Ventricular Tachycardia can be treated with Arjunarishtha? I had also undergone EP and RFA 5 years ago but no help.

9. Hi Doctor…My Mom 65yrs old..We did Master Health Check up recently and found Arotic Stenosis Grade 1…slight Cholorestrol…No Diabetes/No Blood Pressure..no other issues…She has been prescribed by the Ayurvedic Doctor Rasonadhi+Partharishtam…..
    Can you throw more light on Arotic Stenosis from Ayurvedic perspective because i was searching articles by you couldn’t find one because i would like to educate myself. And can you suggest any other way to approach this medical condition. I haven’t consulted Allopathy Doctors since mostly they will go for invasive techniques….how you would approach this?

• Hi, aortic stenosis is more of a structural problem related to valve of the aorta (the big blood pipe supplying oxygen rich blood to the whole part of the body. Aortic stenosis may cause severe health complications and even death, hence it makes sense to go with the advice of the cardiologist.

10. Mt triglyceride levels are around 300, LDL is around 120 and HDL is 35. I am definitely on the higher side of the cholestrol safe levels. Would Arjunarishtha help in such a case?

11. Hello doctor my mothers one heart valve is slightly shrink from childhood and she is 48 now its hard for her to walk too much due to weight and sometimes she feels stress on heart and irregular heart beat can she take arjunarisht is it benificialy for her please reply

12. I was diagnosed with a one degree av block in the ecg. My PR interval was 250 milli second. Will arjunarishta help in reducing my PR interval and get it within normal limits. Plz reply

13. Good morning Dr. JV Hebbar
    Greetings for the day!!

My question is that, i do take 10 ml apple cider Vinager empty stomach in the morning with little honey and plain water for reducing my triglyciders and 4 days ago i stated taking 24ml Arjunarishta after lunch, so is it okay if i carry on with apple cider vineger?

14. Hi Doctor…My Mom 60yrs old..she has cardic problem and diabtic.when she used arjnarist then her sugar level shoot up.then immediately stop this can u suggest arjunarist type medicine for diabitic patient…

15. Dear Sir,

I have undergone angioplasty a month back. Out of the three blocks, one has been taken care by the collateral blood vessel, second one is fitted with stent and third one (90%) can not be managed by angioplasty or by pass surgery as per the doctor’s advice.

Therefor, I want to know

1. Whether Arjunarishta will help me
    2. Whether alcohol in this arishta is harmful to my heart since I have experienced in the past that consumption of alcohol pains my heart.
    3. I also want to know whether this arishta thins the blood since I am already taking Ecosprin-150 Mg twice daily.

• 1. it will help you.
      2. no, there will be a very negligible amount of alcohol in it , that too formed naturally .
      3. you can take along with ecosprin in lowered dosage, which you have to be get decided by your Ayurvedic doctor.

16. Sir
    I was under treatment for elevated liver enzymes around 2-3 years back and recently i checked my lipid profile and LFT and it is found that my sgot and sgpt levels are normal(16 and 30).my cholestrol level as follows.Total Cholestrol 126,LDL 66,HDL 22 and Trigliceride 180.Is arjunarishta good for increasing my HDL level.Plz advice
    Rohit

17. the line of treatment is good in your case but you better continue this line of treatment under the supervision of an Ayurveda doctor who can fix the dose and method of administration according to the nature of your body.

18. definitely it will counteract on hypertension and hypercholestremia. but regarding dose and duration of treatment you have to consult your Ayurveda doctor. since it is to be decided according to your body condition.

19. sorry you are not supposed to use arjunarista since you are a diabetic and it contains jaggery in it. there are lot more medicines which may help you in this regard for which it is better if you consult an Ayurveda doctor directly and take advice

20. Doctor has not shown a perfect substitute to arjunarista for the diabetic patients with cardiac problems.I request the doctor to show a similar medicine for diabetic patients.

21. there are many a things which can be helpful to your problem in ayurveda. it is better if you consult an Ayurveda doctor in person so that your body nature and condition could be evaluated thoroughly and treatment can be prescribed accordingly.

22. hello… it is very good that you have so much concern for your friend. but it is better to consult an Ayurveda doctor in person , so that he could assess the nature of your body and prescribe you medicine as required. there are lot more medicines for hypertension in Ayurveda.

23. arjunarista helps, but you are already taking divya hridayamrit vati, and in your condition it is always better to take your doctors suggestion or take treatment after consulting an Ayurvedic doctor directly.

• Hello sir, Hridyamrit is going to finish in some days. After that should i take arjunarishta. I heard that it reduces palpitation problem

24. I am a SLE for the past 25 yrs.On steroids for nearly 20 yrs. Have been diagnosed with I.L. & now have DVT for the past 3 yrd. Had pulmonary embolism 3 yrs ago. On allopathy drugs throughout. Am on AYURVEDIC medicines simultaneously- Punarnava,Arjunsrisha, Kanakasava, Pavala paspam & some more . Does Arjunsrisha help dissolve blood clots? What is the first aid in ayurveda?My age now is 48 yrs

25. Hi
    What is preferrable , Arjuna Capsules from Himalaya or Arjunarishta for high BP and arrythmia ? Between Arjunarishta and Arjuna Amla , what is preferrable . I do not have diabetes , but my mother had .
    Many thanks.
    Sharad.

• hi… in arjuna capsules only arjuna/terminalia arjuna is the ingredients, where as in arjunarista it contains many as in context. key action of both are same, but act differently in different way. it is better to take the appropriate one after consulting an Ayurveda doctor directly.

26. You can take it under medical supervision only. Should be stopped once the BP comes under control. So would advise you take a expert opinion before taking it.

• Just for curiosity, if arjunarishta doesn’t have side-effects and its supportive medicine, what are contraindications if normal person takes regular does? Because, allopathy subscribe BP medicines on regular basis which are having side-effects then why can’t Ayurveda medicine can be taken which is more safe?

27. Sir, I had undergone Angioplasty (LCX & RCA ) in 10/2009. I have high BP but normally under control. Not diabetic at all. I regularly take related allopathic medicines as prescribed by the Doctor. Will Use of Arjunarishta benefit me ?

28. Sir, I have been taking Arjunarishta since January. Few days ago i bought another Arjunarishta but when I had it i felt a different taste completely different one and i afraid to take it. What i find is that my previous one was Arjunarishta A.S.S and new one is Arjunarishta A.F.I-I and was manufactured in feb 2016.
    Is really the taste is different? previous one was sweet as well but this one i got completely different. Please help me

29. my mother in law has a stencis in her carotid artery, someone suggested arjunarishta,
    to be taken so that the artery may open and regular blood flow rfesume is it alright?

30. dear doctor sir seems u are very well accquainted with the knowledge of ayurveda so plz do me a favour sir its a cordial request plz spend some ur valueable time to tell me that if arjuna terminalia would help heal mitral valve proplapse or not ?

31. Had angioplasty in 2012. Now, EF is 35%.initial signs of congestive heart failure evident. Diuretic added to regimen. Will arjunarisht help ? Not diabetic.

32. Sir i have lower bp 100 and uper 130 from 2 week so should i use arjunarishth …and how should i take it and for how much time.

33. I am diabetic under control. But my cholesterol level triglerside is 500+.. And I was told to take Cardiactve twice a day along with Triglize tablets.. Is it advicible to take both the medicine together?

34. Sir my father has high BP and high cholestrol .he is taking Telma H for BP and rosuvastatin for cholestrol His blood sugar is 138 mg . Can he take arjunarista ??
    Lakshay

35. I would just like to know that the uses of this arjunamrita it says it is used to help in palpitations and anxiety does it really help and how long will it take for the medicine to show its effect.

36. Dear sir IAM not diabetic .IAM taking arjunarishta for anxiety for around 2months.will it increase my sugar level.need I to take gymnema to reduce sugar level

37. Dear sir please suggest a best and cheap medicine like arjunarishta which can be taken by daibetic patients also for heart health

• Dear sir please give the detailed information about the function of abana tablet.what is the difference between arjunarishta and abana and which is better

38. But sir my diastolic pressure is almost above 90.I have heard from my friend d that if diastolic is over 100,chances of heart attack is more.is it true.My age is 34,male,what should be my normal BP,if my BP is slightly higher,need I to take BP medicine.

39. Hello Dr I just want to know which is best arjunamrita or arjunarishta and can it prevent or remove heart blockage in course of time.

40. Arjunaristha is helpful for my heart diseas, my BP is nearest 160, so high my BP Level, also Cholosterol level is 216, MD doctor say its no more risk. So suggest to me here, Arjunarishta is benefit for my heart diseas and decrease cholosterol level ?

41. Hello, myself Sudipto Sinha. I have noticed that sometimes my heart is skipping a beat or heart pauses for 2 seconds and then it continues beating. My BP is 124/80. I am obese (100 kg), height 5’7″. I have done ECG, blood sugar fasting and PP and lipid profile test. In ECG, Left Axis Deviation is there. Blood sugar fasting, PP and lipid profile test reports are normal. My left breast is little more swelled compared to right breast. In 2015, one day I was working on the computer at my home, suddenly I felt sharp paid in the left side of my chest. It continue for a few seconds. Was it any kind of heart attack? What should I do? Please suggest. Thanks.

42. Dear sir I want to know the details about Divya mukta vati.Experts of patanjali are claiming that bp can be cured completely that is caused by any disease.Can it be taken by patients who recovered from bp stroke but her bp does not come to normal even after taking allopathic medicine.We have no patanjali doctors in our area.And lastly can it be taken by GENERALISED ANXIETY DISORDER patients.If so please mention the dose and duration.Thanks again.

• dear sir please provide solutions for nasal congesttion caused by divya mukta vati which now iam taking alongwith saraswatarist for anxiety disorder as Sir’s advice.

• But sir can breathe free medicines be taken by diabetic patients.Also please mention the difference of taking Divya mukta vati before and after food.Lastly how many minutes I have to give gap in taking medicines and for me nasal congestion is caused by mukta vati.Whenever I have to take mukta vati breathe free has also to be taken or what.I mean if mukta vati has to be taken for life,breathe free has also to be taken or what.

43. Dear Dr JV Hebbar
    My father (Age 78 Yrs), is diabetic patient,his fasting suger is 160+ and pp is 188. From few days he is having blood pressure issue it went upto 200 but alopathy doctor has added tablet to control BP. Now it is coming to 150-160. Is is advisable to use Arjunarishta ? Of course I need to consult Ayurvedacharya. Can you suggest about Panchakarma?
    …Regards
    ……Sandeep

44. Sometimes my heart pauses for 1 to 1.5 second and then it continues beating. My ECG report shows left axis deviation. BP, Sugar, TSH and Lipid Profile reports are normal. What should I do?

45. Dear sir please provide solutions for nasal congestion caused by Divya mukta vati.I have tried taking it after food but no changes.If there is no solution please mention other medicine same as Divya mukta vati